Most people reading here already know that I received a writ for elevation to the Order of the Pelican this last weekend at Crown Tourney. It’s been quite an experience! Trying to get my thoughts in some sort of order at this point… Continue reading
I forget about this blog a lot… I just go do what I’m doing and let that be it.
But, OK, things are still happening! Continue reading
I’m gradually catching up with the aftermath of July’s Laurel ceremony, including chipping away at the dozens of thank-you notes that I owe to the many awesome people who made the day so special. Today, I also took the opportunity to snap a photo of my Patent of Arms scroll on the copy stand at work, so that I could show it off here. This marvelous work is by Leah bat Yehiel of Three Mountains. I can’t believe that she completed this piece of art with only eight days notice!
It’s been far too long since I’ve posted here, but the recent news is so excellent that I thought it might be time to return to this forum. In short, at An Tir’s July Coronation I was elevated to the Laurel in one of the most moving and well, LONGEST ceremonies to which I’ve ever been privy in the SCA. Continue reading
Bar Gemels is this weekend! It’s an indoor/outdoor sort of site, and although the weather forecasts are good, I figured it was still good to have some warm-and-dry stuff available. So I finally started on the Norse coat I’ve been thinking about for ages.
There’s slim evidence for a coat like this, and even less for how specifically it might have been constructed, but I’m basically making a Nockert type I dress, a little bigger than usual to fit over layers, slitting it up the front and cutting a V-neck down to a couple clasps slightly above the waist. The fashion layer is a wool blend, black with an overlay of SPARKLY RED STUFF. It’s so not period, but I don’t care, I adore it!
I got it all cut out yesterday; I recently acquired a cutting table and mat and it made the process SO MUCH FASTER. As usual I did some things weird or wrong, but I’m learning! (Yesterday’s lesson: cut the sleeves FIRST. I almost forgot about them completely, and I ended up having to piece one together out of scraps. Had I cut them first, I’d just have a shorter coat, but normal sleeves, which would be better.)
Since the fabric is already not-so-authentic, I don’t have to hand sew this garment (‘have to’ being my own standards, you understand :). That helps in terms of speed, although not in terms of back pain. I continue to adjust the exact angles of the top of the body pieces (continual struggle is that at shoulder level, my measurement is significantly different than at bust level, and standard rectangular construction with a straight body piece gives me shoulder seams near the elbows!) – we’ll see how this one turns out. I’m also trying two square underarm gussets rather than four triangles – the geometry is messing with me but I’ll persevere. Although given that I’m putting pretty wide sleeves on I’m not sure I’ll really need the gussets – we’ll have to wait and see.
Anyway. While I don’t know that the embellishment will get done by this weekend (in fact, I doubt it will!), I plan to try a new craft: needle felting! I scored some supplies via freecycle and bought some lovely wool yesterday, and I’m intending to do some felted vinework along the edges. Stay tuned to see how it goes!
So I finally finished the red dress! Mostly, anyway. All the seams are sewn and flat felled and it’s ready to be hemmed. I didn’t have quite as much fabric as I’d hoped, so it hits about mid calf. I could either leave it is as a shorter overdress, or add a length of another color around the bottom. Given what’s in my stash I think I’d have to add white. Not sure how I feel about white at the bottom! Not the most practical idea, certainly. I could wait a little and see what I have left when I make up the gold wool for Galeran… ponder.
Anyway. I had originally planned to norskify the hell out of this with mammen embroidery but I have changed my mind; if I do something less culturally specific the dress is more versatile. But I do want to jazz it up somehow, just not something that screams ‘norse’ so I think I’m going to take inspiration from these lovely cuffs I saw at Crown last fall and seek out some metal findings and accent those. It’ll be sort of generically period-esque, I know, but beautiful and versatile!